Eating well during pregnancy is one of the best ways to ensure both you and your baby stay healthy. A well-balanced diet will help you maintain a healthy weight and stay active, however we all know it can be more than a little difficult to resist when those cravings for chips or ice cream kick in! Luckily, there are other foods that taste just as delicious and pack a nutritional wallop. These 5 superfoods give you much-needed energy boost while keeping your skin, hair and nails looking top-notch.
- Spinach (and other dark, leafy greens): Greens are a superfood because they pack a nutritional punch that includes protein, vitamins A and K, and folate, which can help prevent birth defects. Start with a green smoothie, enjoy a spinach salad for lunch, and munch on some baked kale chips for your afternoon snack.
- Avocado: When it comes to healthy fat, avocado is hard to beat. This fruit is chock-full of folate and vitamin K, which is necessary for embryonic growth and the development of the heart, lungs, kidneys and other organs. You don’t have to do much to avocados—a little salt and pepper is enough. Bonus – they keep you full for hours!
- Greek Yogurt: Protein is key during pregnancy! Greek yogurt has twice the protein of regular yogurt. It’s also a great source of calcium, which is especially important during months in which the baby’s bones are developing.
- Salmon: Filled with Omega-3 fatty acids (which are good for baby’s brain and eyes), salmon also has lots of protein and vitamins. Unlike other fish, this one is safe to eat (up to 12 ounces a week), since it’s lower in mercury.
- Berries: Blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries not only taste delicious but are also full of full of Vitamin C, which is necessary for baby’s production of collagen, potassium and folate. The phytonutrients that occur naturally in berries protect cells from damage, making them the perfect choice for pregnant women.