There’s a reason you are constantly hearing the words “drink more water.” Water is essential for healthy blood cells, properly functioning vital organs, flushing out toxins, giving you dewy skin and keeping your body hydrated. Staying hydrated becomes twice as important during pregnancy as your body needs more water to cope with the demands of a changing body and growing a little baby. During the summer it is even more important because even slight dehydration can cause severe problems like preterm labor.
Knowing all this – why is it still so difficult to get enough H2O? We’ve put together our team tested tricks to help you get fully hydrated (approximately half your body weight in ounces):
1. Start Your Day Off With Water: Drink a full glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning – it sets the bar for the rest of the day.
2. Find THE Water Bottle: Whether you like bright colors, dark designs, or just a plain surface, once you discover the right water bottle you’ll find that drinking enough water isn’t as hard as you thought. Remember, safety is just as important as looks so get a BPA-free or glass water bottle.
3. Always Take Your Water Bottle With You: Wallet, Cellphone, Keys…WATER BOTTLE. Remember to grab your water bottle in the morning with the rest of your things. The closer it is to you, the more likely you are to drink water.
4. Use An App Or Alarm On Your Phone: If you simply forget to drink water, setting up alarms on your phone or using apps like WaterLogged (iPhone) and Carbodroid (Android) can give you reminders to drink up throughout the day.
5. Make Yourself a Non-alcholic Bubbly: If water is simply too bland for you, sparkling water can help you hydrate yourself while also keeping your taste buds satisfied. You can make your own sparkling water at home with a Sodastream machine.
6. Add Natural Flavor: If bubbles aren’t enough flavor, add a slice of lemon in your water! Another alternative is to add berries, oranges, mint or even cucumbers to your water – it’ll taste great and have you feeling like you are at a spa.
7. Put It On Ice: Gulp down more water by adding ice to your glass!
8. Use A Straw: Using a straw makes it easier to drink water and also makes it seem like more of a treat. Would a milkshake or a smoothie be as good if you were to just sip it rather than drink it out of a straw?
9. Remind Yourself Of The Benefits: If you still need added motivation, remember water gives you more energy, improves your immunity, flushes out toxins, promotes healthy skin – helping make you the best version of yourself.