At Nine Naturals, we’re on a mission to make beauty simple, smart and safe for moms and moms-to-be. Integral to that is understanding our ingredients’ science and benefits. Today’s Nine Naturals Ingredient Story, featuring Aloe Leaf Extract, is part of an ongoing series featuring the natural, plant-based ingredients behind our high performance beauty products.
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (Aloe), is best known for its use as a topical treatment, but its healing powers go far beyond its popular role as a medicinal ointment. With its cactus-like spikes, the aloe plant may look fierce, but the gel found on the inside is gentle and revitalizing. Aloe extract boasts a long history as a multipurpose remedy, as far back as 2000 BC Mesopotamia. Aloe is commonly used worldwide and across cultures, with roots that trace back to ancient times. Legend has it that Cleopatra fondly used aloe leaf extract to keep her skin smooth and soft.
The Aloe Plant
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract comes from the green leaves of the aloe plant. The genus of aloe contains approximately 500 plants, and “true aloe,” or aloe vera, is the most well-known and cultivated. The succulent plant is often grown ornamentally, but many keep aloe plants for their verdant beauty as well as their at-home healing properties. Aloe leaf extract is a breeze to remove from the plant. Simply clip one of its leaves and gently squeeze out the gel. Aloe leaves grow from the inside, creating a layered effect. When clipping, choose the leaves on the very outside of the plant to harvest, as these are the most mature. The gel can be applied to the skin, straight from the frond. If your hectic mother-to-be schedule keeps you up and running, you can also save gel from an aloe plant for future use in an airtight container for up to one week at room temperature, or slightly cooler.
The Science of Aloe Leaf Extract
Aloe Leaf Extract consists primary of water - in fact, 99% water. But the other 1% is where the powerhouse healing properties reside. The transparent gel is made up of many active components, including necessary vitamins, minerals, sugars, enzymes, lignins, amino acids, anthraquinones, saponins, fatty acids, and salicylic acid. All of these components work to make aloe a highly restorative extract, with each ingredient performing different functions. For example, glycoproteins speed the healing process by stopping pain. Polysaccharides stimulate skin growth and repair. Amino acids and uronic acids detox cells. Fatty acids are anti-inflammatory. Aloe leaf extract has many uses for personal care.
Aloe Leaf Extract’s Benefits for Skin and Hair Care
For mild burns and abrasions, aloe leaf extract is one the most-used natural remedies. But, the gel has so many other benefits beyond the healing variety. Aloe contains aloin, which can help protect skin from UV damage. It’s extensive array of vitamins - including A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, E, choline and folic acid - rejuvenates aged tissue, purifies pores, and promotes healthy skin. Aloe gel also acts as a moisturizing agent, restoring suppleness to the skin. With an ever-changing pregnant body, retaining moisture and elasticity is key, and aloe leaf extract will help your skin feeling soft and smooth. Aloe leaf extract can also be used directly on the skin as a shave gel or a makeup remover.
Why Nine Naturals Loves Aloe Leaf Extract
Pregnancy is a time when we moms-to-be need all the self-care we can get, which is why we love using the ultra-soothing aloe leaf extract in our products. What better way to find calm than a peaceful bump massage with our Vanilla & Geranium Replenishing Belly Butter, with aloe leaf extract? While these luxurious moments of tranquility are imperative while you’re expecting, aloe’s comforting properties can relax and restore us in our every-day routines too, with our Citrus & Mint Nourishing Shampoo & Conditioner, and Citrus & Geranium Body Wash.