Whether a woman is trying to conceive for the first time, or perhaps second or third time, preparing for pregnancy is often the first thought. We are excited to sit down with Marjorie Jaffe Goldner, Co-Founder of PregPrep, a company that is devoted to helping women become pregnant. PregPrep is best known for its “Make That Baby Kit,” which contains 3 safe, natural, doctor-formulated products that work together to target a woman’s most fertile days.
NN: PregPrep has helped so many women start or expand their families. What is the story behind PregPrep?
MJG: We launched PregPrep to help all women who are ready to get pregnant. My partner (and sister in law), who is an interventional cardiologist, conceived the idea for PregPrep when she was trying to get pregnant with her first child. In her mid-thirties at that time and eager to start a family, Lara’s eagerness turned into great impatience as the months flew by and nothing was happening. But while researching ways to conceive naturally and quickly, she had her “aha” moment.
Lara read about mucolytics, compounds commonly found in cold and cough medicines to thin out mucus in the lungs. Her research suggested that mucolytics might also help thin out cervical mucus, allowing sperm to travel more easily to the egg. She tried her theory on herself and was pregnant the first month she tried. To her surprise, and on further investigation, discovered that OB/GYNs and fertility specialists often recommend mucolytics as a conception aid.
Lara then realized that she wanted all women trying to conceive to know about this natural, easy, and safe alternative to help speed along the pregnancy journey. And, as we learned during our research, healthy women in their twenties have just a 25% chance of conceiving each month. After age thirty that statistic drops down to 15% and, once you pass forty, chances are only 5% per month. We wanted to help women boost their conception odds each month.
So Lara and I decided to team up (I have a marketing background) and create PregPrep, a Company dedicated to helping women with their pregnancy journey. We did years of research and consulted with our OB/GYN before developing a trio of products including FertilPrep, a mucolytic derived from a naturally occurring amino acid that is also a potent antioxidant (unlike the compounds used in cough syrups). We have brought to all women – regardless of their age or stage of their conception journey – the products we couldn’t find when we were trying to have babies.
NN: What is included in each PregPrep Make That Baby kit and how is it used?
MJG: PregPrep’s Make That Baby (MTB) kit allows women to take charge of their conception journey and optimize their chances of conceiving. Our kit contains 3 safe, natural, doctor-formulated products that work together to target a woman’s most fertile days. Included in the trio of products is a bolstered, natural mucolytic and antioxidant (which works to facilitate successful transport of sperm to egg), a unique, specialized prenatal vitamin that melts easily on the tongue, and a select blend of aroma therapeutic oils to encourage overall well-being during the pregnancy journey.
NN: What are some common fertility factors that are addressed by the PregPrep Kit?
MJG: The PregPrep kit provides women with all the essential supplements they need pre-conception. Our prenatal vitamin (VitaMelt) contain folic acid, an absolutely essential supplement for any woman trying to conceive. Studies have shown that adequate folic acid intake may reduce a woman’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord birth defect. Our VitaMelts also includes Vitamin D and B12, both of which are designed to support normal ovulation. They are streamlined for only pre-conception and do not make you sick or constipated. ..
PregPrep’s FertilPrep contains NAC (N-acetyl Cysteine). NAC is a natural mucolytic that dissolves viscous mucus + thins mucus secretions. Thin cervical mucus significantly eases sperm transport, which may help facilitate fertilization. NAC is also a naturally-occurring antioxidant that reduces levels of free radicals in the body. PregPrep’s FertilPrep contains the most optimal dosages of NAC in a multi-ingredient fertility supplement available. FertilPrep is also fortified with a select blend of natural derivatives (including Chaste Berry Extract and Evening Primrose Oil) that offer further support to the quality of cervical mucus, fight free radical damage + support hormonal health.
The beneficial effects of aromatherapy have been studied + noted by many in the field of human health. Essential oils have been shown to have a calming, yet revitalizing influence that may improve the functioning of the reproductive system by acting on the hypothalamus + autonomic nervous system. Our Essential Balance Oil decreases stress. We recommend the use of this therapeutic oil as a prelude to the most crucial step on the path to conception: having sex.
NN: You’ve spoken at length about mucolytics and their importance in increasing fertility. Can you tell us a little more about that?
MJG: Sometimes the sperm needs a little help getting to the finish line, and thinning the cervical mucus allows the sperm easier transport to reach the egg. So instead of swimming through molasses, with the use of a mucolytic, the sperm is swimming through water. PregPrep has developed a natural, doctor-formulated mucolytic just for women trying to conceive. This carefully researched formula provides the ideal dose of a potent mucolytic and antioxidant to help women optimize their chances for pregnancy.
NN: What is the difference between PregPrep and prenatal vitamins? What makes the product so effective and how does it work?
MJG: PregPrep has taken the guess work out of prenatal vitamins by packaging all the essential nutrients and vitamins a women needs in one simple, easy to use kit. Our 3 products work together to optimize a women’s chances of conceiving and primes her body for pregnancy.
NN: Aside from using the PregPrep kit, what are some other things women can do to prep their bodies for pregnancy?
MJG: There are some fairly easy things you can do that will help you get on the road to a baby bump:
- Make sure you are timing it right. This is THE number one key to success. Pinpoint your fertile window by tracking your monthly cycle and subtracting 14 from the length of time between menstruations. (If your cycle is 30 days then you will most likely ovulate on day 16). Try an ovulation predictor kit if you need more help.
- Try to have sex on the 5 days leading up to ovulation. Sperm live for 3-5 days and maybe even longer in some cases. The egg only lives for a day. So the sperm need to be waiting for the egg to drop.
- Avoid using lubricants during sex, as most are not friendly to sperm.
- Get your partner to up his zinc intake and make sure he keeps his important parts cool and loose to ensure a high sperm count. (No hot tubs, and choose boxers over briefs.)
- Try vitamins that can help regulate ovulation (such as a vitamin with D and B12). And don’t forget folic acid; you need to begin taking folic acid before conception to reduce incidence of neural tube and other birth defects (and autism too).
- Learn about the role of cervical mucus in conception. Consider using a mucolytic tailored to help facilitate conception. Sometimes the sperm needs a little help getting to the finish line, and the right consistency of cervical mucus can help them get there quickly and easily. PregPrep has developed a natural, doctor-formulated mucolytic just for women trying to conceive. This carefully researched formula provides the ideal dose of a potent mucolytic and antioxidant to help women optimize their chances for pregnancy.
NN: What are some recommendations you have for women that intend to get pregnant in the future but are not actively trying yet? What can these women do to maintain healthy fertility levels?
- Take a Folic Acid Supplement. Folic Acid supplements are the primary ingredient in our VitaMelt. It’s important to make sure you’ve got folic acid in your system before conceiving. Taking 400mcg of folic acid has been shown to reduce the risk of neural tube and other serious birth defects.
- Get to Your Proper Weight. Try and get to a healthy weight before you add your bump. Being overweight before pregnancy can hinder fertility and increase your risk for diabetes and hypertension.
- Exercise. You should make an effort to get yourself in good physical condition for pregnancy and labor. Begin exercising in moderation before conceiving. The key words here are: in moderation. Don’t wear out the treadmill, but do try and get 30 minutes of exercise in regularly.
NN: What’s next for PregPrep?
MJG: Eventually, we will have a complete line of products catering to women from pre-conception to postpartum. We are currently working on our next group of products which will aid in pregnancy discomforts.
NN: Where can customers find PregPrep?
MJG: PregPrep can be purchased on our website, www.pregprep.com as well as boutique pharmacies and online stores. You can see a full list of retailers on our site under store locations.
NN: What is your favorite Nine Naturals product?
MJG: I love the Vanilla + Geranium Regenerative Pregnancy Belly Butter & Stretch Mark Cream. I’ve had 3 children and, unfortunately, the stomach never quite recovers. This organic cream – which has Shea butter and Vitamin E, really does help restore the natural suppleness of my skin. And it smells great too!