From the moment I got pregnant with Oliver, a thirst hit me like no other. Already an avid hydrator, I found myself revisiting the water cooler for more than just the office gossip. Drinking water for two is crucial for pregnancy. “Not only is it healthy for you and your baby, but you’re more likely to contract and go into pre-term labor when you’re dehydrated,” says New York City OB-GYN Meredith Halpern of Cityscape OB/GYN. Reason enough to stay hydrated.
I’m not a fan of buying overpriced and anything-but-green water bottles, so I started using reusable water bottles a few years ago. And unlike my reusable grocery bags, these get actual use. But not all water bottles are created equal. Just like the baby gear you’re currently stocking up on, you want to make sure the water you ingest on a daily basis is free of BPA and anything else you can’t pronounce. Glass is the safe choice…and the pretty one. Which we think is important if it’s going to be one of your accessories for the next few months and beyond. Because the hydrating does not stop once baby is here. One of the best nursing tips from my birth instructor was to set up a nursing station (or a few) in your home that always has a water bottle filled. So yes, you’ll continue pee’ing a lot for a little while longer, but you’ll also ensure both you and your baby stay hydrated.
Here are 5 glass water bottles to keep your thirst at bay.
- bkr: bkr’s philosophy is all about clean living. Which is exactly what you want from your drinking water, right? The founders of bkr thought out every detail in this usable piece of art. Each bkr bottle is dressed in a removable silicone sleeve, available in various gorgeous colors, and has an easy-to-drink-from mouth. Oh, and doesn’t bkr’s About Us page make you want to be a part of their club? $35
- Lifefactor: The first glass bottle I ever sipped from, Lifefactory remains a modern classic. Lifefactory’s bottles are always BPA/BPS-free and dishwasher safe, and the company is constantly revamping their colors and styles. Also, the wide mouth allows easy access for ice cubes and fresh fruit. The new Straw Cap style is designed for one-hand operation and upright, spillproof sipping (no tipping needed) making it perfect for hydrating on the go or while nursing. $26.99
- Bamboo: While most glass bottles ensure safe and clean drinking at all temperatures, Bamboo bottles add an extra level of strength and style. Offering three different styles of tops — classic, flip and hot tops — this bottle company strives to maintain a green earth by utilizing one of the renewable materials available: bamboo. So go ahead and fill’er up with cold or hot beverages — the bamboo can withstand the heat. $25
- Takeya: With its passion for beverages and drinkware, Takeya creates water bottles to carry both water and one of the delicious iced teas for which the company has become so known. Made with durable glass and covered in a silicone jacket, Takeya’s see-through window for checking fluid levels really makes this bottle unique. $19.99
- Aquasana: These Aquasana bottles leave you with the purest taste of water like only glass can. Aquasana, which can be purchased in a bundle of six, is a no-frills option that makes it easy for each family member to take a bottle on the go without having to worry about a few dirty ones in the sink. $18.99
This article is by Kaity Velez courtesy of Well Rounded NY. Conceived with love by former magazine editors Jessica Pallay and Kaity Velez, Well Rounded NY aims to be the singular pregnancy resource for city-savvy moms-to-be. Through reviews, profiles, expert Q&As, local guides and more, Well Rounded curates the New York City pregnancy and helps its readers come to terms – and term! – with pregnancy in the city.